Sunday, June 07, 2009

Wedding Cake!!

So as you all know Shelly is getting married. As an attempt to save cost, they are considering letting me make the wedding cake. I've NEVER done this before, so I decided to practice so I would have something to send to Shelly to show her and see what she thinks. It looks nothing like the one she wants (cause she still hasn't sent me the picture) but I wanted to give her some idea of what I could do. I used flowers I had and the cheapest ribbon and beading I could find (since it was only a practice). I also didn't spend much time on the piping because I'm not sure what she wants. Here was the result of today's practice session:
The flowers are WAY too big, but I didn't want to go out an buy something for a practice cake.
The orange flowers are even bigger, but you get the idea. Perhaps this summer I will learn how to make good gumpaste flowers and then I will do my own, but that's pretty ambitious so we'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

On a different note, I just realized that I blog a lot about food and cooking, but guess it just goes to show that it's one of my favorite hobbies!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks amazing!!! I didn't know you were that good. I'll have to remember in case we ever live near each other again and I plan some kind of event.

Maya said...

That's gorgeous!!! Fondant icing?

Chris and Amanda said...

Diane, I have a HUGE file on wedding cake tips, like iron the ribbon on the back of wax paper so the frosting won't bleed through, a great recipe for buttercream, and other tips, if you didn't want to do fondant. Call me.... Great job! Baker's Kitchen on Hull and Courthouse has a lot of great tools too. Pearl making molds and the like.

Looks FAB!

Shannon said...

I know I told you this already, since you did bring to my house and all, but it is beautiful! You did such a good and especially considering how quickly you did it! She would be crazy if she doesn't let you do it-and you are crazy for doing considering how busy you'll be anyway! :) It tasted great BTW!

Diane said...

Maya - Yes, it's fondant. Amanda - That is a great idea. I'll have to pick you brian one of these days (once we finalize the cake design) for any other useful tips you might have. Thanks!

Elyse said...

diane! awesome job! that cake looks great! that's way exciting you get to make the cake for shelly! everyone wants to see the bride first then look at the cake!!

Build It,Sew It,Love It said...

I have only made one wedding cake before and know how much time goes into them!! YOUR AMAZING SISTA!! It looks BEE-UTIFIL!! Way to go!

Lambert the Sheepish Lions said...

Yeah... I saw that cake in person... it was BEAUTIFUL!