So my FAVORITE place to go and visit is Washington DC, so naturally we spend a day up there with Stephanie. We ended up with a full van because Mom, Kye, Cami, and Zach decided to tag along too. We all drove up together, and then took the metro downtown. We started our day off with the mall. For those of you who haven't been to DC, the mall is NOT a place where you go shopping in DC, instead it is where all of the Monuments are. The only one we didn't get up close and personal with was Jefferson, because he is far off the beaten path and we only had one day.
Next it was off to lunch at the Air and Space Museum. This was extra exciting for the Nuffers of the trip because they serve Donatos pizza there, a Columbus chain that make some of the best thin crust pizza ever! Only pepperoni and cheese at the museum, but we'll take it. It was also nice to get inside out of the sweltering heat. Stephanie had not yet adjusted to humidity, so she was dying (and the rest of us too)!
The last and best stop was the National Archives.
I have never been inside before, even though I've been to DC more times than I can count. They've been closed due to flooding, routine maintenance, etc, so I've never made it in. We were able to see the Magna Carta, The Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights. Having studied these documents many time over, it was humbling to see them in person, to actually read the preamble myself right off the original. It made me extremely thankful for the opportunity I have to be an American, and for what our Founding Fathers did for us!
There was no Flash Photography allowed, so I'm super impress that Nate's pictures turned out this amazing!
Kye found this secret door while we were waiting to go inside! It all felt A little like National Treasure or something.
I'm glad we were able to go, I just wish we had a week or more so we could see everything!!
0 comments:
Post a Comment