Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Garden

So this year we are going to attempt a garden. I am hoping that it will successful (not like last year where it looked like the place all plants go to die!!). In April we set up our herb garden in baskets off of the deck, and because they are doing so well I've decided to try a little more. We are trying lettuce, spinach, green beans, cucumbers, squash, peppers, and tomatoes. We also have a bunch of herbs (basil, oregano, dill, parsley, chives, mint, thyme, rosemary, and cilantro). I'm pretty excited about the whole thing. Nate, being the wonderful guy that he is, cleared the ground, put in the bricks and potting soil, and then the fence. He's also helping me remember to water everything (This may have been my problem last year....). Try not to be too shocked, but I actually have some pictures of our new little garden. Keep in mind that is does not include most of the herbs.These one's I'm attempting to grow from seeds....we'll see how that works.

Here's a shot of thw whole garden. I just planted flower seed in the far left corner. Hopefully they will grow and be lovely!

Well, if you have any helpful hints or suggestions that will make me a better gardner I would really appreciate them!!! -Diane

5 comments:

Jones Family said...

way to go! hope everything comes up for you. I have the worst green thumb. I haven't attempted veggies or herbs because I usually am not too successful with flowers. can't wait to see how it turns out!

Maya said...

i hear fertilizer every week or two does wonders. i just bought some liquid fertilizer last night that mixes with water to try out. I'll let you know how it works! Did you do your green beans and squash from seed?

Caitlyn said...

Looks good! Gardens are awesome, it's one of the best parts about living at home this summer, we get to see the garden! (I'd say "help with," but I don't think Chaela eating the dirt counts). Yeah, and I KNEW that you would comment on that giveaway blog! Remember, you're supposed to repost it!

Diane said...

Maya - I'm trying the beans and zuchinni from seed and the yellow squash from seedlings.
Caitlyn - yes I will repost it, but I'm coming up with my idea on what to send (I think I have it). I will have it up by tomorrow!

Erin said...

How fun! I wish I COULD give you some advice. We're attempting our first garden too, although we don't have room for veggies- but one day!